Marie Mongan Hypnobirthing
The Wise Hippo Birthing Programme
There are many methods of teaching hypnosis for birth, all working within the same principles. Linda Wardlaw is a highly qualified and experienced teacher originally trained in ‘Hypnosis for Birth’, then in 2011 trained in ‘The Marie Mongan Method of Hypnobirthing’ and most recently in 2014 choosing to teach ‘The Wise Hippo Birthing Programme’ for the majority of courses, although if you prefer, ‘The Mongan Method’ 1-2-1 courses are still available.
The Wise Hippo Birthing Programme covers a broader spectrum than just hypnosis for birth.
This course is taught as a 12-hour programme that runs as 4 x 2.5 hour classes + and extra 30 minutes each week to cover additional topics drawing on knowledge and experience of hypnotherapist, psychotherapist and birth doula.
A workbook and 7 x mp3s are provided to support home practice and a closed Facebook group is available for all course participants to ask questions, share experiences and support fellow course participants from courses being run throughout the country.
A 3 hour Relax, Breathe and Birth session is available as a taster session for the full course but it is also valuable as a stand alone course teaching tools and techniques to help achieve a calm and positive birth. Suitable for expectant parents from 20 weeks pregnant onwards.
A ‘Bond with Baby’ session is also available, suitable for expectant parents 16-24 weeks pregnant.
What does the main course cover?
- Explaining the relevance of the Hippopotamus
- The Picture of Childbirth today
- The Wise Hippo Birthing Programme materials
- Defining Hypnosis
- Acknowledging Pain
- The Physiology of Birth and the Impact of Fear
- Mind / Body connection
- The Impact of Others
- Taking charge of your thoughts
- Relaxation – the antidote to discomfort
- What is Relaxation?
- Positions for Relaxation
- Remember to Breathe
- Eyes Open Hypnosis
- Time Distortion
- Birth Partners Script
- Establishing a practice routine
- Prenatal bonding
- Choosing where to have your baby
- Choosing who will be with you when you have your baby
- Alternative options for promoting comfort
- Medical intervention
- Natural nudges of encouragement for your baby
- Interventions explained
- Benefits of a natural birth
- Writing your birth plan and making your birth choices or preferences
- Physical preparations for birth
- The mirror mantra
- Fear release session
- Soothing strokes and the power of positive touch
- Positions for birth
- Ligaments and pelvis
- Humming your baby down – birthing your baby
- Birth partner’s role
- Using the techniques during labour
- When baby arrives
- Sea of Serenity – Birth Hypnosis session
- Your practice and preparation diary